September 10, 2007

Quotent Quotables

One night a year or so ago, a friend and I happened to start talking about God. I believe in Him; she isn't so sure. She went on to talk about how she had trouble believing in something that is not logical; there is no scientific fact that God exists. To her, He is like a fairy tale.

I wished I could put into words why I believed. I kind of felt silly talking to her about it because she was perfectly right, believing in God is not logical nor scientific. But in the end, I still believe. There are so many unspoken reasons in my heart why I believe. I have faith that He is there and loves me, even in spite of all the mistakes I have made, and will make, in my life. That will never change.

I've been reading a book called Blue Like Jazz. It is a book of thoughts on Christian spirituality that my sister recommended to me. It's pretty good so far. I came across a passage in this book that reminded me of that conversation that night.

"I don't think there is an explanation. My belief in Jesus did not seem rational or scientific, yet there was nothing I could do to separate myself from this belief. [She] was looking for something rational, because she believed all things were rational. But that is not the case. Love, for example, is a true emotion, but it is not rational. What I mean is, people actually feel it. I have been in love, plenty of people have been in love, yet love cannot be proven scientifically. Neither can beauty. Light cannot be proven scientifically and yet we all believe in light and by light we see all things. There are plenty of things that are true and don't make any sense. I think one of the problems [she] was having was that she wanted God to make sense. He doesn't. He will make no more sense to me than I will to an ant." Donald Miller, Blue Like Jazz

I don't usually say too much about my thoughts on God. While I feel very strongly about my faith, I also feel that it a very personal thing and one I shouldn't go blabbering on about. But for some reason, I just felt that I should share that little paragraph with all of you, asking those who wrestle with this question of logic to keep an open mind. I hope that my friend does too.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm very glad you are liking this book. I thought it was right up your alley.

Staci said...

Thank you for posting this. I'm often at a loss for what to tell people when they want rationalization...this helps a lot!

Vicki said...

When I read something like this blog, I am so proud to be your mother. I have always tried to instill in you the awesome love of God, but it is your own decision whether or not to believe. I know God will continue to bless you in many ways...just ask him.