September 6, 2007

Recipe of the Week

Last night was fiesta night for Mike and I here at home. I made lime-marinated chicken, Spanish rice, bean dip, and the most wonderful salsa in the world. It's not a red salsa that you would find at your local Mexican resturant. It's closer to a pico de gallo thing, but it's not quite that either. The best I can describe it is a light summery delight that makes you tongue extremely happy. And it's pretty to look at too! Thank you Betty Crocker!

Tomato-Avocado Salsa
(warning: much chopping involved)

2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1 medium avocado, pitted, peeled and chopped
1/4 cup chopped green onions
2 T freshly squeezed lime juice
1 1/2 t finely chopped jalapeƱo chili (beware the sharp knife...)
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1/4 t salt

Chop the heck out of everything and squeeze that lime (although tasty, the smell of lime always brings back unpleasant memories of tequila). In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients and mix gently. Refrigerate until cool and refreshing. Then enjoy!

I would have posted a picture of it, but we honestly ate it so fast that I didn't even think about it. Eh, maybe next time. We put it on top of our chicken last night, but I think you could eat it on/with almost anything. And it's not a real spicy dish, just very flavorful. Mike gave it a "Holy crap, this is good!" review, which is great considering he doesn't much like anything that doesn't contain meat. I think next week I'm going to make this again to put on top of some quesadillas or maybe porkchops. Oh the possibilities...

0 comments: