July 17, 2007

Recipe of the Week

When we use to live in Bloomington, we would go to Kilroy's at least once a week for their happy hour specials. $2 cheeseburgers, at least 15 different flavors of Long Island Ice Teas and cheap hot wings... what more could a college student ask for? Anyways, the wings always came with a delicious blue cheese sauce that I could never get enough of. After we left Bloomington, I learned how to make some pretty good wings, but what about that wonderful sauce? Store bought Blue Cheese dressing? Bleeeeh. Ranch? Bleeeeeh. Wings by themselves? Bleeeeh. After I had given up hope on finding anything remotely close to Kilroy's, I randomly came across a recipe online for such a sauce. While it might not be exactly the same as the kind in Bloomington, it's darn close, and is really easy to make. So here it is, my favorite home-made Blue Cheese Sauce! Enjoy!

3/4 cup sour cream
1-1/3 cup mayo
1 tsp worchestershire
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt (I use a little less just because the cheese and worchestershire is so salty)
1/2 tsp black pepper
4 oz blue cheese, crumbled

In a large bowl, whisk together sour cream, mayo, and worchestershire. Season with dry mustard, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Stir in blue cheese crumbles. Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours before serving. (I don't ever wait that long. I stick it in the fridge to get cold while I make the wings. The longer it sets the better though.)

While we use it just for wings, I bet it would be really good as a salad dressing, veggie dip, or topping for a burger.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Blue Cheese? You've gone over to the dark side!